Monday, November 23, 2009

Someone put a spell on me

I think I lost it.
My mojo that is. In the kitchen. For the last couple weeks things have been going wrong. I cant really say what started it. I tried to make pralines for my friend Savanna. Now granted I had tried to make pralines one time before that and end result was 2 melted mixing bowls (do not ask). So pralines was stretching my culinary expertise.
Yeah, FAIL. They tasted good but without a candy thermometer (which had broken) the soft ball stage came and went and they were ruined. Tasted good. Like salted caramel with pecans that were clear. But a FAIL nonetheless.
Next up- fortune cookies. Seems a little complicated but fairly easy recipe. My cookies pooled together in the oven. Then I couldnt fold them quick enough. They didnt come out crunchy. They were soft but still had that wonderful fortune cookie taste.
Next allbran cake. came out dry. FUCK.
Chocolate chip cookies- yeah i know. WHAT THE HELL. I could make these in my sleep and this time they came out burnt.
Cookies and creme cupcakes- burnt in the oven. Sugar burnt and they were inedible.

Did someone curse me?

The only things I have made successfully were 2 pound cakes (of course my signature dessert) and blondies.

I want my baking skills back. NOW.

2 comments:

  1. You've just hit a rough patch... kind of like the Denver Broncos. I'm sure you'll be back to form in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you talk football, Newt.

    ReplyDelete